Filet mignon is a popular cut of beef that is known for its tenderness and rich flavor. However, cooking filet mignon to perfection can be a challenge, as overcooking can result in tough, dry meat. Sous-vide cooking is a great way to achieve perfectly cooked filet mignon every time, by controlling the time and temperature of the cooking process.
- 2 filet mignon steaks
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- Preheat your sous vide cooker to 129°F (54°C) for medium-rare or 135°F (57°C) for medium doneness.
- Season the filet mignon steaks with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place each steak in a separate vacuum-sealable bag and add 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter, 1 sprig of fresh thyme, and 1 smashed garlic clove to each bag.
- Seal the bags using a vacuum sealer or the water displacement method.
- Place the bags in the preheated water bath and cook for 1-2 hours, depending on your desired level of doneness.
- Remove the steaks from the bags and pat them dry with a paper towel.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over high heat until it is smoking hot.
- Add the steaks to the skillet and sear for 30 seconds on each side, or until a crust forms.
- Remove the steaks from the skillet and let them rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve the filet mignon steaks with your favorite sides, such as roasted vegetables or mashed potatoes.
Tips for Perfectly Cooked Filet Mignon:
- Use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of the steaks before and after searing.
- Let the steaks rest for at least 5 minutes before cutting into them to allow the juices to redistribute.
- For an even more flavorful steak, marinate the meat in a mixture of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and herbs before sous-vide cooking.
Sous-vide cooking is a foolproof way to achieve perfectly cooked filet mignon every time. By controlling the time and temperature of the cooking process, you can achieve a tender, juicy steak with rich, beefy flavor. Follow this recipe and our tips for the best results, and impress your dinner guests with a delicious filet mignon that is cooked to perfection.