To get started with sous vide alcohol brewing, you will need a sous vide cooker, a vacuum sealer and bags, and the ingredients and equipment for your specific brew. Here is a basic recipe for sous vide beer brewing:
- 8 lbs of malt extract
- 1 lb of specialty grains
- 1 oz of hops
- 1 package of yeast
- Start by creating a beer wort by heating the malt extract, specialty grains, and hops in water. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for about an hour.
- Allow the mixture to cool down to room temperature.
- Once cooled, add the yeast to the wort.
- Vacuum seal the mixture and place it in the sous vide cooker.
- Set the temperature to 68°F (20°C) and cook for 7-10 days, or until the fermentation process is complete.
- Remove the bag from the water and let it cool down to room temperature.
- Transfer the beer to a secondary fermenter and let it condition for 2-4 weeks.
- Once conditioned, transfer the beer to bottles or a keg and enjoy your homemade beer!
Tips and Tricks
- You can experiment with different types of malt, hops, and yeast to achieve different flavors and aromas.
- You can also add additional ingredients such as fruit, spices, or herbs to create your own unique brew.
- You can use the same process for brewing wine and other fermented drinks, just adjust the temperature and fermentation time accordingly.
- Be sure to sanitize all equipment before use to prevent contamination.
- If you don’t have a vacuum sealer, you can use a food-grade zip-lock bag and the water displacement method to remove the air from the bag.
- Make sure to check the temperature and specific gravity of the brew regularly during the fermentation process to ensure it is progressing as desired.